OoM 029: Hunting, Fishing, Wildgame Recipes, and Harvesting Nature with Justin Townsend
The earliest skill sets of man included the ability to hunt game and provide for the tribe. In fact, a man’s ability to survive, protect, and provide for his family and himself is still a primary mark of a man.
This week I have a conversation with Justin Townsend about hunting, fishing, and harvesting nature to do just that.
We’ll talk about using nature as a resource to provide, how to create lasting memories in the outdoors with your family, and everything you need to get started on your own hunting adventures.
Meet Justin Townsend
Justin Townsend has been a hunter and angler since he was a child and has always enjoyed the outdoors.
He was raised in Southeastern Oklahoma where hunting and fishing was used as a way to supplement home grown and store bought food.
Justin moved away from home to college where he was able to tune his culinary skills as a professional chef.
As time progressed, Justin combined his passion for the outdoors and his love for food to create the online publication, Harvesting Nature. Currently, Justin serves as the Editor-in Chief of Harvesting Nature and is a Pro Staff member for First Lite.
What You’ll Be Learning
- Harvest nature as a responsible way to consume food
- How to turn hunting into a family activity
- How to use hunting as an opportunity for adventure
- How harvesting your own meat provides a sense of comfort and preparedness
- How to prepare for a hunt (weapons, gear, mindset, physical fitness)
- How to prepare for emergencies while hunting
- Other skills you’ll need to learn above and beyond shooting
- Considerations for butchering your animal in the field
- How to prepare your meat and some of the best recipes
Equipment Talked About
- Savage AXIS .308 Caliber Rifle
- First Lite Merino Wool Camouflage