OoM 038: What Makes a Man “Manly” with Stephen Mansfield
What does it mean to be a man? It’s a question I’ve asked all 38 podcast guests up to this point. And, it’s a question that is difficult to answer.
My guest today, Stephen Mansfield, breaks it down piece by piece as he talks about rites of passage, the need for excitement and adventure in men’s lives, and how to build a band of brothers.
Meet Stephen Mansfield
Stephen Mansfield is a New York Times bestselling author and a popular speaker who advises leaders worldwide. He is also a regular commentator on FOX News and CNN.
He first rose to global attention with his groundbreaking book The Faith of George W. Bush, an enormous bestseller that Time magazine credited with helping to shape the 2004 U.S. presidential election. The book was also a source for Oliver Stone’s award-winning film “W“. Mansfield’s The Faith of Barack Obama was another international bestseller. He has written celebrated biographies of Booker T. Washington, George Whitefield, Winston Churchill, Pope Benedict XVI, and Abraham Lincoln, among others. Publishers Weekly described his book, Killing Jesus, as “masterful.”
Stephen’s humorous but fiery Mansfield’s Book of Manly Men has inspired men’s events around the world. His more recent The Miracle of the Kurds has been selected as “Book of the Year” by Rudaw, the leading Kurdish news service. As a result of this book, Mansfield has become a leading voice in support of the Kurds against the evils of ISIS in the Middle East.
Stephen speaks widely about men, leadership, faith, the lessons of history, and the forces that shape modern culture. He is also a much in-demand leadership advisor whose firm, The Mansfield Group, is located in Washington DC.
What You’ll Be Learning
- Why the conversation around “masculinity” is becoming more common
- Why men are failing on ever metric measurable
- How men learn compared to women
- The 4 “Manly Maxims” every man should participate in
- The importance of Rites of Passages
- What we can learn about manliness from the military
- How to create your own Band of Brothers
4 Manly Maxims
- Manly Men do Manly Things
- Manly Men Tend Their Fields
- Manly Men Build Manly Men
- Manly Men Live to The Glory of God
- The Drugging of The American Boy (Esquire Magazine, March 2014)
- Mansfield Book of Manly Men by Stephen Mansfield